Protocol controller IP for CAN / CAN FD
Application & Technical Summary
The M_CAN is a CAN IP module that can be realized as a standalone device, as part of an ASIC or on an FPGA. It performs communication according to ISO11898-1:2015. It supports Classical CAN and CAN FD (CAN with Flexible Data-rate). Additional transceiver hardware is required for connection to the CAN physical layer. The message storage is intended to be a single or dual-ported Message RAM outside of the module. It is connected to the M_CAN via the Generic Master Interface. Depending on the chosen integration, multiple M_CAN controllers may share the same Message RAM. The Host CPU is connected via the 32-bit Generic Interface.
- Support of Classical CAN and CAN FD according to ISO 11898-1:2015
- Up to 64-byte payload for faster transmission of large data fields
- Support of CAN FD Light:
- standardization is ongoing by the by CiA (CAN in Automation).
- Multiple M_CAN modules can access one shared memory
- Smart message handling reduces CPU load
- Connectable to customer-specific Host CPUs with 8/16/32-bit generic CPU interface
- Bit rates up to 8 Mbit/s, depending on application and used transceiver
- Safe communication with 17/21bit CRC (CAN FD) or 15bit CRC (CAN)
- Functional Safety Ready
- M_CAN has been developed as Safety Element out of Context (SEooC) according to ISO 26262-11:2018, Clause 4
- Safety Manual and FMEDA available on request.
- M_TTCAN additionally supports Time-Triggered CAN for real-time applications according to ISO 11898-4
with bit rates above 1 Mbit/s