Protocol controller IP for CAN / CAN FD
Application & Technical Summary
The M_CAN is a CAN IP module that can be realized as a standalone device, as part of an ASIC or on an FPGA. It performs communication according to ISO11898-1:2015. It supports Classical CAN and CAN FD (CAN with Flexible Data-rate). Additional transceiver hardware is required for connection to the CAN physical layer. The message storage is intended to be a single or dual-ported Message RAM outside of the module. It is connected to the M_CAN via the Generic Master Interface. Depending on the chosen integration, multiple M_CAN controllers may share the same Message RAM. The Host CPU is connected via the 32-bit Generic Interface.
- Support of Classical CAN and CAN FD according to ISO 11898-1:2015
- Up to 64-byte payload for faster transmission of large data fields
Support as CAN FD Light Commander:
Standardization published in CiA 604-1: CAN FD Light Protocol for responder nodes
> More information about CAN FD Light
- Multiple M_CAN modules can access one shared memory
- Smart message handling reduces CPU load
- Connectable to customer-specific Host CPUs with 8/16/32-bit generic CPU interface
- Bit rates up to 8 Mbit/s, depending on application and used transceiver
- Safe communication with 17/21bit CRC (CAN FD) or 15bit CRC (CAN)
- Functional Safety Ready
- M_CAN has been developed as Safety Element out of Context (SEooC) according to ISO 26262-11:2018, Clause 4
- Safety Manual and FMEDA available on request.
- M_TTCAN additionally supports Time-Triggered CAN for real-time applications according to ISO 11898-4
TSU - Timestamping unit
The timestamping unit supplies the M_CAN IP-module with hardware timestamps according to CiA 603 and AUTOSAR specification.
DMU - Direct memory access unit
The DMU supports DMA transfers between M_CAN message RAM and system memory
with bit rates above 1 Mbit/s
Mandatory License of CAN Protocols
The CAN Protocols are patented products developed by Robert Bosch GmbH.
A CAN Protocol License is required for all implementations of CAN FD, CAN FD Light, TTCAN and CAN XL modules.